What happens if you get a DUI in another state?

| May 22, 2018 | Firm News |

Police arrest locals and tourists alike for driving under the influence every year in California. In fact, 2017 saw a slight increase in the total number of DUI arrests with 26,296 people suffering consequences. 

Many people visit Arizona every year for vacation or to visit family members. One bad decision can lead to a DUI arrest, and it is at this point many people think, “But I don’t even live here.” An out-of-state DUI becomes slightly more complicated, and you would do well to hire a local attorney to assist you through this time. 

Your driver’s license

One of the most common aspects to occur during a DUI arrest is for the state’s DMV to suspend the license. When the police arrest you for driving under the influence in another state, they will most likely suspend your license for that specific state. They cannot revoke it and prevent you from driving in your home state, but you will be unable to drive in this other state until further notice. However, it is possible that local law enforcement will notify your home state’s DMV of what occurred. After discovering this, your local DMV may suspend your license. 

Court appearance

In many cases, the person will need to appear in court in the state where the DUI occurred. While inconvenient, that is a consequence people have to contend with for breaking the law. However, there are cases where an attorney may be able to represent the person entirely in the courtroom without the arrested party actually being present. Therefore, it is in your best interest to hire a lawyer from the area you receive the DUI.

This is true even if you know for a fact you will need to appear in court in person. DUI laws vary by state, and you want an attorney who understands Arizona’s laws perfectly. A lawyer from your home state may not be as familiar.